Olive producers face many kinds of risk that they need to manage:
- Food Safety – pesticide MRL’s / phthalate contamination / microbial contamination / adulteration - product recall
- Product Quality – reputational – loss of consumer confidence
- Biosecurity – both endemic and exotic pests, diseases and weeds
- Environmental – managing processing discharge / adapting to increasing climate variability
- Economic – viability, competitor products advantage
- Employment - Work safe, Illegal workers
OliveCare® in cooperation with Olives Victoria, Olives NSW and Olives SA have published a series of plan templates to guide olive producers in managing risk, with a focus on food safety and product quality The following templates provide a statement of Risk Assurance for a Small Olive Grower (SOG) to the Australian Olive Association (AOA) to the effect that the evoo or table olives they produce is safe to consume and that the production process preserves the quality of the olives. This assurance is intended to meet the minimum requirements of the AOA Code of Practice (OliveCare®).